Re: Clutch "fatigue"

Jeff Ingber wrote:

> Sorry if this has been dealt with before but I've got a '94 GLX (no Mods).
> Since I have owned this superior car, I have frequently experienced very
> low play on the clutch.  My dealer has told me to ignore this as the clutch is
> self-adjusting and will eventually regulate itself.  Sure enough, it usually
> does eventually adjust to the proper height, but sometimes it may take as
> long as 20 minutes or more. (On a few notorious occasions it took about 2
> or 3 days). Aside from being merely annoying, when the clutch is too low
> the cruise control won't operate. Has there ever been a service bulletin on
> my year GLX regarding the clutch that I should know about and that my
> dealer has perhaps forgotten to tell me?
>
> Jeff (Jeffrey R. Ingber)

That sounds a lot like what happened to my car, and it also sounds a lot like the
same load of crap that my dealer was trying to give me.  On my car, the clutch
return spring wasn't there.  After it was "fixed,"  the spring started falling
out -- either of these may be your problem -- at least it is worth a try.  Oh,
and FYI, there is a revised bracket from VW that is supposed to stop the spring
from coming out.

good luck
- -erik