From:  posaune[SMTP:leah@erinet.com]
Sent:  Wednesday, May 06, 1998 4:36 PM
To:  Ryan B. Gould
Cc:  GTI-VR6 List; Jetta GLX List
Subject:  Hood Supports: The Instructions

OK, a few people have asked about these hood supports, so here is the
information that I have.  It is a simple install, so here are the notes
I took for just this purpose.  Please note that the instructions and
results apply to the lifts that I got from Pep Boys.  They may or may
not apply to the other versions.  Also, do one at a time to avoid
problems like having 2 of the four bolts off of the hood at one time,
etc.

As always, the usual disclaimers apply.

Pep Boys pro-lifts: part #92516      ($32.99/side)  (Thanks Mike Bigus)
Auto Zone mighty-lifts: part #E95212     ($40.00 total according to
Jason Whipple)
Jamex kit  ($45.00? according to Jason Whipple)
Bonrath kit  ($124.95 from New Dimensions)
Neuspeed P-lifts  ($124.95 from APS)

Tools needed:
Two hood struts
4 extra washers (ones closer to the size of the originals)
various sockets
drill/bits up to 9/32"

 --remove strut from package and check parts.  included should be (in
each package):
 ---1 strut
 ---2 ball joint ends (1 silver, 1 black)
 ---2 washers (you'll substitute the larger ones for these)

 --paint washers to match car (not necessary, but looks better IMO)
 --remove bolt closest to front of car from the hood supports
 --install the black (longer) ball joint end with washer into the open
hole and tighten (being careful not to move the hood in its mounts)
 --remove the corresponding screw in the fender -- it should be obvious;
check to make sure with the strut
 --drill the fender hole to 9/32" -- I used bits in small increments, but
I don't know if that is necessary
 --tap threads carefully with the hood bolt that you removed
 --install silver (shorter) ball joint end and washer into fender  (Jason
Whipple also removed the fender liner and added a nut to the bottom -- a
good idea -- I didn't, and haven't had any problems, though)
 --snap strut onto ball joint ends *with the strut body closest to the
fender* (this is opposite of the Neuspeed and Bonrath kits)
 --close hood gently to make sure everything clears
 --remove hood rod

hope this helps
 -erik