Re: 94 Jetta GLX Traction Control

Eric Wrote  -
>     My 1994 Jetta GLX supposedly came standard with low-speed traction
>control.  However, I have skidded out several times coming from a dead stop
>when the road has been slightly wet (although I do have a heavy foot).  Does
>anyone know how to check to see if the traction control is working?
<snip>

Eric, the traction control that VW uses is more of a limited slip type
control.  That
is to say that, if one wheel senses a speed difference vs. the other wheel,
the brake
for that slipping wheel is applied.  It is quite possible under hard
acceleration to
cause both wheels to slip equally thereby not applying the traction control.
This is
only at lower speeds also.  For the most part, this is supposed to help limit
the
amount torque steer.  Drive a hopped up A2 and you will understand why vw did
it.

So it is not a true traction control like some marques employee where power is
reduced
to the wheels through misfiring/lower fuel delivery.

If you want to check to see if the traction control is working put one wheel
on wet pavement
and the other on dry pavement.  The system should kick in.

Warren

97 Black on Black Jetta GLX
94 Black and Tan Passat GLX - 150,000 miles