Oil Grade?

Hi,

I've decided to use Mobil 1instead of LubriMoly in my car (it's about
half the price, I just couldn't justify spending that much on oil!).
Walmart sells it (5W30) at a great price.  Now - is 5W30 OK?  I just read
in the watercooled newsgroup that many VW'ers run 15W50 in their cars...
I've already bought the 5W30, but not put it in (Walmart doesn't carry the
15W50 either, which will slow me down - the market for synthetic oil in
Halifax isn't all that large, selection seems to be limited).  Avoid it?
Search for another weight?

What do others run in their cars?

Thanks for your input,

Chris