Re: VR6 vs. V6

Paul,

According to the Bentley manual "VR is derived from a combination of Vee
(cylinder configuration) and the German word Reihenmotor, which roughly
means in-line, or in-line V-6"  This results in a compact engine that
can be installed in small spaces, such as in VW models previously
reserved for 4 cylinder engines.

Some mechanical differences between the two VW V6s;

VR6				Passat V6
- -----				---------
Cyl. Heads - 1			Cyl. Heads - 2
Cams; 1 per cyl. bank		Cams; 2 per cyl. bank
2 valves per Cyl.		5 valves per Cyl.

In most V engines (60 and 90 degrees) the intake manifold is placed
between the cylinder heads, down the length of the engine block. Exhaust
exits from, both, the right and left sides of the motor. The VR6 intake
is mount on one side of the motor (like a 4-cyl.) and the exhaust is
mounted on the opposite side (like a 4-cyl.).

The VR6 basically looks like a large inline four cylinder motor. And was
designed to fit in existing VW 4 cylinder engine compartments.  The new
Passat is based on an Audi sub frame and can easily accommodate a full
sized 90 degree V6 motor like Audis 2.8 30V V-6.

Hope this helps,

Joe
Austin VW Club

PS: If anyone out there has or knows of a graphic cross-section of the
VR6 on the web please send a link to the list.  A picture is worth a
thousand words.