Re: Problems with Panasonic CX-DP601/VW97PAN Hookup

I just installed the same CD changer with VW97-PAN purchased from
Crutchfield...You need to hook-up the red wire to a 12V supply, which I did
by connecting to the trunk light (the CD changer does work with the hood
closed as the switch to shut-off the light cuts off the return (ground)
lead-a lucky break)...The unit powered up only after connecting the
12 V...As a precaution I also snipped off the 3 Amp fuse that came with the
CD changer (plastic housing on the yellow wire) and installed it in the 12 V
line...

Milind

At 09:31 PM 5/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Ok, I have the Panasonic CX-DP601 CD Changer and the VW97-PAN purchased
>from Crunchfield.  These I have tried to install in the trunk of my new
>98 VW Jetta GLX with Bose Sound System.  The leads in the trunk are two
>RCA Cables and an 8 pin DIN plug.  A voltmeter has confirmed that the 8
>pin DIN plug has some 12 volt pins so one would conclude that the cable
>must be hooked up to the radio.  I have the VW97-PAN hooked up and the
>voltmeter confirms live pins on the exit side. I have secured the black
>lead from the Panasonic Changer to a ground.  The ground is confirmed
>with the voltmeter.
>
>The result is that the unit does not power up.  There is no indication
>of a CD Changer on the radio display. I connected the Panasonic CD
>changer to a matching plug in a 95 VW Jetta and it powered up indicating
>there is nothing wrong with the changer unit.   I talked to Crunchfield
>and they said the problem may have something to do with a loose red wire
>coming off the VW97-PAN.  They said it may need to be hooked up to a 12V
>ignition lead.   The problem is- where do you get that in the trunk?
>The VW supplied changer apparently does not need this.  Am I  missing
>something obvious with this hookup.  Any suggestions?
>
>John Kiekhaefer

Dr. Milind Gokhale		Ph: (609) 258-4204 (off)
Research Associate, POEM	    	  258-6688 (MBE lab)
J303 E-Quad				  279-0274 (home)
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08540