Problems with Panasonic CX-DP601/VW97PAN Hookup

Ok, I have the Panasonic CX-DP601 CD Changer and the VW97-PAN purchased
from Crunchfield.  These I have tried to install in the trunk of my new
98 VW Jetta GLX with Bose Sound System.  The leads in the trunk are two
RCA Cables and an 8 pin DIN plug.  A voltmeter has confirmed that the 8
pin DIN plug has some 12 volt pins so one would conclude that the cable
must be hooked up to the radio.  I have the VW97-PAN hooked up and the
voltmeter confirms live pins on the exit side. I have secured the black
lead from the Panasonic Changer to a ground.  The ground is confirmed
with the voltmeter.

The result is that the unit does not power up.  There is no indication
of a CD Changer on the radio display. I connected the Panasonic CD
changer to a matching plug in a 95 VW Jetta and it powered up indicating
there is nothing wrong with the changer unit.   I talked to Crunchfield
and they said the problem may have something to do with a loose red wire
coming off the VW97-PAN.  They said it may need to be hooked up to a 12V
ignition lead.   The problem is- where do you get that in the trunk?
The VW supplied changer apparently does not need this.  Am I  missing
something obvious with this hookup.  Any suggestions?

John Kiekhaefer