Check engine light

Me again!
   Let's see ... I have my check engine idiot light coming on
periodically.
The GLX drives no differently. No strange noises or anything, either. The
'95 has 50k miles on it, and (apparently) has not had its 30k mile
check-up
done yet. Any ideas? Or shall I bring it in and hope that my wallet won't
have a nervous breakdown (poor timing for car troubles, as I *just*
shelled
out over $250 for excise tax, $425 for a security deposit on a new apt,
another $425 for May rent, $216 for insurance on two cars plus a little
bit of previously-owed insurance, and Other Various Things).
   Thanks for reading.