Service Reminder Indicator (SRI) resetting

Ok gearheads, listen up.

Per Cyng's request for information on the display of code IN 02 on the
instrument cluster of his 95 GLX, here are the Bentley Manuals
instructions for resetting the Service Reminder.  And for those of you
who do not know of the Bentley Manual, this is the OFFICIAL VW service
manual for the Jetta III and Golf III 1993 - 1997, VW part # LPV 800
115.   IMPORTANT - don't forget to have the service done while you're at
it! :)  These instruction were taken word for word (sorry RB) from the
service manual, pages 0-26 & 0-27. SO, don't yell at me if they're
incorrect.  I MAKE NO WARRANTY AS TO THEIR ACCURACY.

1998 owners, this manual only covers up to 97.  But, from what I've seen
the 97s and 98s are pretty much the same.  But, DON'T take my word for
it.  :-)

Cyng, sorry for not scanning the pages.  My system died on me last
night. But this should work just fine.

Good luck all,

Joseph Mann
President, Austin VW Club

==================

Service Reminder Indicator (SRI) resetting

On cars equipped with the SRI, a graphic will be displayed in the
instrument cluster when a service (mileage) interval has been reached.
The display appears for a few seconds after switching on the ignition in
place of the mileage indicator.  If no service is required, the IN 00
will be displayed.  The SRI will display one of three maintenance
intervals.

    - IN 00 = no service required
    - OEL = oil service
    - IN 01 = inspection I
    - IN 02 = inspection II

After performing the specified maintenance, the SRI display should be
reset.

1. Switch ignition ON.

2. Press and hold odometer reset button below speedometer

3. Switch ignition OFF and release odometer reset button. OEL will now
appear in SRI display.

4. Press and hold the lower digital clock reset button or the analog
clock reset button until five dashes (-----) appear in display.

NOTE-
OEL SRI is now reset for 7,500 miles (12,000km) or 6 months whichever
comes first.  Once OEL is reset, the other displays can be reset in the
same manner without switching the ignition on and off again.

5. If necessary, press odometer reset button to proceed to the IN 01
display (15,000 mile maintenance) and reset using the clock reset
button.

6. If necessary, repeat procedure to reset IN 02 (30,000 mile
maintenance) display.

7. To end reset mode: switch ignition ON; when display IN 01 appears,
switch ignition OFF.