Re: Poll #1: chips

- -=-=-=-
>     Although I haven't installed a chip on my '94 Jetta GLX yet, I would just
>like to point out that Autotech also makes a chip called the Q-Chip.  The
>results should be comparable to Neuspeed's P-Chip.
- -=-=-=-
   I've read about their chip a few times. Neuspeed's reputation beats
there's
in my neck of the woods. Also, my brother had a Neuspeed in his G60 and
put
one in his CorradoSLC and liked thge results.
   No offense intended towards Autotech, which is a highly-reputable
company.
- -=-=-=-
>     I really don't know too much about these chips.  First of all, I'm not
>too technically astute; I don't even know where my ECU is.  If anyone could
>tell me how to locate it, I would be very grateful.  Since I have one of the
>1500 GLX's built in Germany, I understand that there's a possibility that my
>chip is not soldiered on to the ECU.  If anyone knows anything about this,
>please tell me.
- -=-=-=-
   Your ECU is most likely right in front of your dashboard, under the
windshield.
To get at it, open the hood, remove some moulding right under the
windshield
(it's like a thin sort of covering held in by those silly plastic screws
which most often are seen lurking in the depths of one's trunk, holding
the
carpetting down). The ECU ought to be kind of wedged in there, right
behind
the lip of the engine bay and the windshield's bottom edge, near to the
centre
of the car. I hope that that's at all clear!
   I truly envy the German origin of your GLX. Mine's one of the Mexican
breed. Your ECU very likely has the simple bracket for your chip, instead
of the
thing being soldered in like mine. Lucky guy.
- -=-=-=-
>     I'm also wondering if a performance chip will invalidate the 10-year
>100,000 mile powertrain warranty.  Does anyone know anything about this?
- -=-=-=-
   I seriously doubt it. I'm sure that the manufacturer of any chip can
answer
this question for you. If there's any doubt, simply neglect to tell the
folks
at VW that you replaced the chip. Act stupid.
- -T