Re: Elimination of Daytime Running Lights!

Lazz Mckenzie - GTE Internetworking wrote:
Previously I

> have accomplished this by hotwiring the handbrake switch, (meaning that the
> brake warning light has been on, but covered by black tape, for the life of
> my poor abused Golf).     Did I catch that someone has a source for a
> better solution? (i.e. a real light switch or info as to which relay I need
> to molest!)
>
> rgds
> Laz the sledgehammer electrician!

As another electrical genius on the list, I feel it necessary to reply to you
post (just don't read my previous posts about my handbrake light).

Actually, I do know how to get rid of the DRLs -- I just don't know how to do
it without getting rid of the "BRAKE" light too.  This is apparently not a big
deal to you however :).  And, just FYI, lots of GLXs lose the light when
getting rid of the DRL relay -- some don't though, and we don't know why.

All you have to do is get a european switch (plugs right in and has a detent
for parking lights too -- and front and rear fogs) or an older american switch
('94 Golf? -- I dunno, but if you go this way, just make sure it has a front
fog light position -- no rear fogs).  The euro switch can be had from Timmons
VW or a host of other VW aftermarket firms for about $70.  So after you do
that, you can just yank the DRL relay -- mine, a '97, is labeled #173 and is
at the upper left of the relay panel -- YOURS MAY BE DIFFERENT, so check with
some '98 owners first!

I assume if you remove the relay without getting the switch, you'll still get
rid or the DRLs, but you won't have full control of your lights.

If you get the switch and need info on the rear fogs, let me know.  I have all
the correct (!) info for those :).

hope this helps
- -erik