Re: Rally navigator wanted!

Garret wrote:
Hi Scott,

> 'kill this butthead', 'drive over his body' ?

I'm mad at him and was emoting last night. I was also being entirely sarcastic.
Please don't take me too seriously.

> Have you heard of the name Whittaker? How about Newland?

No, sir. Nope...

>   Larry Newland was a friend of mine killed on the Press-On-Regardless rally
> when his car left the road and his torso was crushed by the trunk of a tree.
> His co-driver was critically injured.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost a friend. I've never suffered the same loss but
can empathize. Human life is nothing to take for granted and your stern words
will be remembered. I am very aware of the potential danger here.

>   Grant Whittaker was a New-Zelander and friend of Rod Millen who was killed
> when he struck a worker vehicle while running a special stage. His co-driver
> was also killed (I can't remember his name at the moment).
>
>   Don't get me wrong, I think rallying is the greatest motorsport in the
> world. But I know from first hand knowledge that it is also deadly.

Yes, you are quite right. Being responsible to man and machine is the object of
the game, here.

>   A co-driver has to have the utmost trust in the driver that he will bring
> both of them home safe.

Yes, -right again. I navigated last year and had to totally trust my driver.
Rallying is very serious business.

>   If a person does not want to put himself in that position then that is his
> decision. If I were in his shoes and your above posting is any indication of
> the type of person you really are then I wouldn't ride with you either. You
> sound too dangerous.

Well, see my major problem with Tim regards two things. First of all, he agreed
to do this over four months ago, knowing full well what this was all about. His
decision was one of the major reasons why I decided that it was feasible to take
on this project in the first place. I've spent an inordinate amount of personal
funds and time on this and resent that he's backing out at the last minute.
Secondly, this guy is *31-years old*! At age 31 he should be well able to make
his own decisions. What kind of man allows his mother to tell him what to do
like this? Hell, what kind of man would even *admit* that this was the reason???

Although my statements were made in jest, I stand by the spirit of my words. I
wish no one any harm. I am a responsible and caring person. I also expect people
to come through on their promises. Get to know me better and you'd find that I'm
actually quite conservative in my approach to most things. However, when I set
my mind to what I want to accomplish, I will *not* compromise. This has been the
key to my success over the years.

So, sorry if I've offended or scared you; hopefully you'll understand me a
little better now. Regardless, I still thank you for "setting me straight". I'll
do well to heed your advice.

Thanks again. :^)
- --
Scott F. Williams