wtf is wrong with my VR6

help,

        tonight while driving back from my works big ass spring event sale,
i was turning left and my steering wheel locks up and i miss a car by inches
and drive into someone's front lawn.  what the fuck is going on, i could
have had an accident or possibly even have gotten killed!!!  has this ever
happened to anyone??  i am going to the dealer tomorrow as soon as i get off
work, and hopefully they can tell me what happened, maybe even get a loaner
car.  i have made no mods. to my suspension/wheels/steering wheel... i just
have a chip.  i am afraid that this is going to happen again, but i won't be
so lucky next time!
 please help!!!

Chris
'97 Black Jetta GLX