NewBeeetle (off topic)

I just received my NewBeetle service kit. A very nice 96 page book that
outlines all the updates in the car.
Here are a few:
The transmission is a member of the 02A family. It has the code of 02J.
The ratios are:
Gas					Diesel
1st 3.78:1			3.50:1
2nd 2.12:1			1.94:1
3rd 1.36:1			1.23:1
4th 1.03:1			0.84:1
5th 0.84:1			0.68:1

The transmission uses the same 2 cables as the GLX/GTI.
The engine is a new design 2.0. Because of the low hood the engine is 18mm
shorter in height. It uses a direct fire ignition. The oil pump is now
chain driven.
There is a new wiring system which uses new technology called CAN-bus.

Controller Area Network bus.

This new technology uses fewer wires and accomplishes this serial data
transfer via CAN-bus.
The  ECM,TCM and ABS ECM  Because of this new system there are only 2 wire
bus to handle all the information to all of the ECM's at the same time
instead of several wires between each module.

There are several pages that are devoted to the electrical system. I feel
like I can get a job with Nasa after working on this car. It has the
potention to be an electrical nightmare.
Time will tell.

Don