Re: Keyless entry on '97

Bunmar,

hi how are you doing, I've got some information on a keyless entry
system for your fiances's '97 Golf Trek.  Wow, aren't those pretty rare
at least compared to the number of Jetta Treks.  My first vehicle was a
new Windsor Blue '97 Jetta GLX, I had the dealer install the factory
keyless entry system.  Shortly thereafter, I began to have rattles in
both front door panels.  This problem and other defects led to VWoA
swapping this Windsor Blue Jetta GLX for a new Black Jetta GLX.  The
regional VW service representative stated that the rattles were caused
by the removal of the door panels necessary to install the factory
keyless entry system.  After recieving my Black Jetta GLX, I checking
into the Advanced Motorsport Solutions (AMS) keyless entry system.  All
the connections which are necessary are under the driver's side of the
dash and the door panels do not need to be removed.  All the wiring
comes with VW connectors so it's a simple plug-in deal.  Included in the
kit are two remote controllers, Code-Alarm brain box, wiring harness,
and thorough instructions.  The remote allows one to lock all the doors,
lock the trunk or hatch, roll up the windows, and close the sunroof.
With a push of a button you can also, unlock all the doors, pop the
trunk or hatch, roll down the windows.  You cannot open the sunroof with
the remote.  A blink of the parking lights and a honk of the horn
confirms the activation of the alarm system.  The only drawback that
I've come across with this keyless entry system is that there is no
confirmation that the alarm system is off.  The remote in effect
simulates the key being utilized in the door lock.  A glass sensor and
shock sensor are also available as options.  Cost $249.95
Advanced Motorsport Solutions also lists a, Factory VW keyless upgrade
for $99.95.  I assume this allows one to lock and unlock the doors only.
Lastly, in the back of European Car, there is a company which sells
keyless entry system for VW's in two flavors.  The first for $159.00
which locks and unlocks doors vent and close windows via 4 easy
connections.  The second, is a basic kit, for $99.00 which just locks
and unlocks the doors.

Hope this helps,

David Kim
1997 Vento GLX