HOT, HOT, HOT!!!

Just came back from a weekend trip to Shreveport, La
from Dallas and wanted to make a few comments;

Trip going out was uneventful, had a quite a few people
who couldn't figure out how a VW could go so fast (VR6
badges removed).

The real interesting thing happened on the way home from
Texarkana, drove up there to look at a TR6 (waste of time).
Got into a caravan with an 850 Volvo and a Maxima who decided
to try to run away from me.  To make a long story short, for
the next hour we played tag between 90-100 mph, and yes, this
was at safe distances with very little traffic.

Some minor observations; outside temp = 101, water temp
after running 90+ for one hour = 230, oil temp under same
condition = 244 w/oil cooler. Got off highway water temp
exceeded 230, A/C decides to quit until water temp goes below
230, spouse not too happy without A/C, suggests no racing until
outside temps dip below century mark.  What I did find interesting
was that we turned off the A/C (and opened the windows of course)
and the water temp dropped to normal (vertical) in less than
five minutes, unbelievable. The A/C radiator must generate some
serious heat.

Someone should tell the engineers in Germany that people in the
Southwest may buy and drive their cars.  PLEASE put a larger
radiator on the VR6, the engine was melting.  I can't believe
that either the Volvo or Maxima was having the cooling problem
that I was experiencing.

Don, is it normal/engineered such that when water temps exceed 230
the A/C automatically kicks off?  If not, what can I tell my dealer
to look for when I take my car in for its 10K checkup.

Just wanted everyone to know I tried to uphold the VW name, we just
got beat by the heat.

BTW, the reason I couldn't exceed 100+ is that the VW bra on the car
would start to flap around 98ish, and the German sunroof deflector would
start to hum/vibrate above 100.  I think this was also heat related.

"The difference between Genius and Stupidity, Genius has its limits"

Temperature Heat Index forecast for Dallas today 121 degrees.

Bill Schleusner
97GLX "Rolling pizza oven edition"