RE: Seat Height and Head Room...

wrote:

<<<
I doubt the seats sit any higher in the GLX, its just that the roof is
lower due to the standard sunroof (which could easily take up that
1.7"). The other models do not come standard with the sunroof, so their
headroom measurements wouldn't include it. One advantage of the pre-98
Passat GLX is that it didn't come standard with the sunroof (though it
might be difficult to find one without).

I'm 6'3", and can fit in a GLS and Wolfsburg fine - although my legs are longer
than my torso.  I guess I'm lucky - can fold my
legs in and fit just about anywhere.  Just ask me how I fit into my '71 Triumph
Spitfire!!

<<<
I've also found that the published headroom numbers don't necessarily
mean a whole lot, as I've sat in many cars which claim to have 38 or
more inches of headroom only to have my head planted on the ceiling,
while others with lower numbers are fine. What's also amazing is that
I've found several SUV's (which look rather tall), to have less headroom
than the '85 RX7 I managed to squeeze into (I sold it to someone taller

I heard that - my Jeep Cherokee has less headroom than the Wolfsburg I just
test drove.

<<<
than myself). The only true test is first a quick sit to see if its
possible, then as long of a drive as the salesman will let you get away
with.

Heh - we just got back from a 'test-drive' lunch, and took out a Black '98
Wolfsburg 2.0 5spd sedan.  It was nice, and he
directed us around the typical "straight road, take it on the highway, offramp
curve, back to the dealer" drive.  I was like,
well, this is nice - not a drag racer, but nice with the 2.0 engine.  Then, as
we approach the dealership, I started thinking,
I don't want to give this back just yet.  So I say, "Know of any twisty roads
around here?"  He doesn't, but I do, and we go
off looking for it.  As soon as we hit the twisties, I'm like 'yahoo' - now,
this is what I was looking for.

The only problem is (if I get the car), quitting my 27 mile highway commute
(each way) and taking backroads all the way home,
easily doubling the mileage I have to drive each day!  But, it'd be well worth
it!!

Chip - happy Jetta test driver, future Jetta owner??

p.s. - he told me the MkIV Jetta's were only 60 days out, and that they'd be
willing to deal on the '98.  I'm up in the air on the looks
(I love the A4, and almost bought one) but also like the traditional styling of
the Jetta A3's...

Good luck with the fittings.