RE: Seat Height and Head Room...

Wow, and I thought I had trouble finding a car that fit. I've narrowed
my search down to the Jetta GLX, Mazda 626, and maybe a BMW 325 (haven't
had a chance to drive one yet), as they are the only cars I've found so
far to be fun to drive, have good power, and have enough headroom in my
preferred upright position (and that I might be able to find an
affordable used model). For some reason, I was unable to get comfortable
in the pre-'98 Passats, thought a quick sit in a '98 looked promising.

I doubt the seats sit any higher in the GLX, its just that the roof is
lower due to the standard sunroof (which could easily take up that
1.7"). The other models do not come standard with the sunroof, so their
headroom measurements wouldn't include it. One advantage of the pre-98
Passat GLX is that it didn't come standard with the sunroof (though it
might be difficult to find one without).

I've also found that the published headroom numbers don't necessarily
mean a whole lot, as I've sat in many cars which claim to have 38 or
more inches of headroom only to have my head planted on the ceiling,
while others with lower numbers are fine. What's also amazing is that
I've found several SUV's (which look rather tall), to have less headroom
than the '85 RX7 I managed to squeeze into (I sold it to someone taller
than myself). The only true test is first a quick sit to see if its
possible, then as long of a drive as the salesman will let you get away
with.

Good luck with the fittings.

Tim Irwin
(6', longer torso, upright seating position)
'89 Mazda 323 (lots of headroom) -- For Sale as soon as I find a
replacement
'94 Acura Integra (Not bad w/o sunroof)