From: Khan M. Klatt <kklatt@nw.verio.net>
To: jettaglx@igtc.COM <jettaglx@igtc.COM>
Date: Tuesday, June 23, 1998 11:50 PM
Subject: Seat Height and Head Room...

It just goes to prove that I love this car so much, I tolerate little
things about it that I maybe shouldn't.

What I'm talking about is how much my car is bugging me now that a friend
of mine has been teasing me about the headroom in my car. Sad thing is, I
think he's right.

Let me explain:

I can't comfortably drive my car without leaving the sunroof cover open all
the time. Not the sunroof mind you, just the sunroof cover (the plastic
thing with the carpeting on it that you can slide back without opening the
sunroof).

When I'm driving, I notice my head is noticably to the right of the wheel
so that my head is in the 'sunroof space' or tilted to the right. (And I'm
only 6"1, not like I am monstrous or anything) I can't sit straight up. I
can't believe that the Jetta is too small a car for me, because sheesh,
it's not a very sleek car (compared to say a Corrado, which is several
inches "sleeker").

On the other hand, the GLX has an inch or so of LESS headroom than a
standard GL, GT, WB, TDI, or GLS. Here is the info from vw.com:

Jetta GL Jetta TDI Jetta WOB Jetta GLX
--------- --------- --------- ---------
Head Room,
Front/Rear,
inches 39.2/37.3 39.2/37.3 39.2/37.3 37.5/37.3

So the GLX does have 1.7" LESS headroom than the others. I can't *IMAGINE*
that they are using different bodies for the GL vs. GLX, and they are the
same height from the ground up (save perhaps a few slivers of an inch for
wheels/tires), so the only possible answer is that the GLX seats are simply
higher in the GLX than in the GL's, etc.

I would just tilt the seat back (and "luge the car" as my friend teases me)
but my legs are so long that I can't move the seat forward enough to reach
the steering wheel when I'm tilted back like that.

So my questions are:

1. Do any of you 5"11 or taller have this problem? How did you solve it, or
do you cope like I do?

2. Am I right about the seats in the GLX seating us a little higher?

3. Can I maybe get GLS leather (color matched) seats to seat me in a better
position? (Maybe a perfect time to upgrade my car to side impact airbags)

4. Maybe it's time to seriously consider trading in my GLX for an Audi A4,
Passat GLX, or maybe wait for the A4 Jetta?

I love my car, but I am finding that it is looking smaller and smaller
every day, with people not having room for their feet in the back seat, me
not finding enough room for my head, etc. Now if I could give up several
cubic feet from the TRUNK (sheesh, you could fit an entire morgue in the
back) for space in the cabin...

-Khan
--

Khan Klatt <kklatt@nw.verio.net>                               Verio