Re: Seat Height and Head Room...

At 10:34 PM -0700 6/23/98, Steve Harris wrote:
>I know this sounds stupid, but you do know that there is a hight
>adjustment
>on the GLX seats don't you??
>
>Its a very strange adjustment...unlike any I've ever seen before on any
>other car.  It raises the driver vertically.  Personally, I leave it
>bottomed out and I still feel I'm sitting too high.  I don't have any
>problem with head room (although I'm 6'4") but I'd love 6 more inches in
>the footwell!!

Yes, I'm aware of that setting (or I hope I am). It's the setting that, if
you're not sitting in the seat, and you trigger the lever that actuates
that setting, it will put your head rest through the windshield because
it's on a WICKEDLY WOUND SPRING?

Surely, if I know about the "WWS" then I've tried all sorts and kinds of
settings for the height adjustment, and I keep the seat "bottomed out"
(which doesn't do much for the folks sitting in the back of the car-- it's
hard to get their toes under the bottom of your seat.

There are three settings for the GLX seats, and none of them help me with
my dilemma:

1. The seat forward-backward setting, as a small black lever to the right
front of the seat. This is where I store my 1liter plastic pop bottles, by
the way. I can't modify this because moving it closer a) makes me
practically hug the steering wheel and b) makes it difficult to hit the
brakes and clutch with the appropriate amount of force. Moving it farther
a) makes it hard to reach the steering wheel, and b) I have to tip-toe to
get the clutch.

2. The seat tiltback-tiltforward setting, as a black knob on the side of
the seat. This is where I store nothing, by the way. I can't modify this
because tilting it forward makes me sit up too straight, and tilting it
back puts the back of my head into the roof of the car/on the edge of the
sunroof cover. Tilting it WAY back makes it impossible to hold the steering
wheel (bad!).

3. The last setting is the seat up-down setting, which is color-matched
plastic to my car (Biber Beige in my Sequoia Green GLX). This is also where
I store nothing, by the way. I can't modify this because it is bottomed
out. I can only lift it up, which only compounds the problem.

If you're 6'4" and want more legroom, then most of your length comes from
your legs, while mine comes from the distance between my hips and the top
of my head.

As a 6'1" guy, I have my seat distance set maybe 1 or 2 from the rearmost
setting (as you probably have it pushed all the way back).

Here's what I guess our bodies are like in the seat:

You:
   ____|
   ____|
  /
 /
/

Me:
 ___|

  __|
 /
/

You're longer in the legs, but I'm longer in the torso. Perhaps that
explains why you fit fine, and I don't fit so well. Sorry for the bad ASCII
art. :)

I'm still wondering if the GL seats come in a) leather b) side impact
airbag, and c) will lower my seating inside the car.

-Khan