Re: Clutch - Shifting, Jeez jam it in there!

From: Stephan Martone <smarton@luc.edu>
To: Jetta GLX List Server (E-mail) <jettaglx@igtc.COM>
Date: Thursday, June 11, 1998 12:00 PM
Subject: Clutch - Shifting, Jeez jam it in there!

>Shifting seems normal, on short trips. When it starts turning into a long
trip, down shifting gets difficult.  I have the clutch to the floor, and
when going down to 3rd or 2nd gear you feel the shifter bind up before it
gets into gear like it doesn't want to go.  If you push hard, it goes in.
Shifting up has never been a problem.  This has been happening for a few
months now.

At which speeds you try to downshift?. It's the normal behavior of a VW
transmission if you are trying to downshift going too fast. Speaking in
Km/h, If you try to get 2nd at 70Km/h , the transmission will not let you
until you brake to 60 Km/h, at this speed the gear goes in like butter.
Don't ask me why, but VW transmissions work the same since my first '79
rabbit until the last A3 I have driven. This have prevented me twice in the
past year to crack the transmission.

- - Alex Kunstmann