Clutch - Shifting, Jeez jam it in there!

I have seen a few comments here and there about clutch sounds, clutch travel, etc.  I keep hoping that when I see a post with "clutch " in the subject someone will talk about experiencing what I found in my '97 GLX with 10k miles on it.

This may not be related, but I'd be interested to see if anyone else noticed that the console under the cup holders gets really hot.  It would seem to me that heating up your drinks would be something designers would take into consideration *if* this is normal.  It seems to cool down a bit with the A/C on.

Back to the main subject.

Shifting seems normal, on short trips. When it starts turning into a long trip, down shifting gets difficult.  I have the clutch to the floor, and when going down to 3rd or 2nd gear you feel the shifter bind up before it gets into gear like it doesn't want to go.  If you push hard, it goes in.  Shifting up has never been a problem.  This has been happening for a few months now.

I'm going on a road trip this weekend, and I'm a little concerned.

Stephan Martone
'97 Jetta GLX, 5spd