RE: Pop Sound when shifting..(kinda long)

this is my first time responding to the subjects on the list...i just got on
the list a few days ago....this one caught my eye

i had the same problem with my '97 glx.  in the mornings i would start it up
the rpms would go up then drop down to where either 1) the cars idle shook
coming close to dying or 2) it would just die completely.  the car also had a
rough idle when at a stoplight also esp with the a/c on.  so i took the car in
to the dealer come to find out there was a fix for this problem.  they said
that its a problem with some '97's and '98's.  So they kept my car for almost
a week.  the computer had to be taken out and rechipped.  The chip had
something to do with the fuel pressure and the amount of fuel used for cold
start...apparently there is not enough of either so the car dies, i would
always have to press on the gas right after start up to keep the car from
dying, jus dont press the gas before you start the car or while you are
starting it..dats a no no!!!!  Well I got my car back...boy did it run
better...i could even notice the difference when accelerating it had a quicker
response.  The car never died on me ever again.  During cold start when the
car's rpm drops down...the computer senses this and you see the rpm's rise
back up to 1000 rpms for 5 seconds and then drops and levels off.  The idle
was never rough either...even with the a/c on.  My rpms used to drop off
rapidly when taking off from a start with the a/c on almost making the car
die, usually i had to adjust by adding more gas on the start...now its the
same as if the a/c was not on.  So go see your VW dealer...i have a friend who
also had this done among other things that were considered fixes.  he just
mentioned that he was aware of these things and they didnt even deny it or
give him a hard time i.e. (tape on doors to keep from rubbing, retainer spring
in the clutch)  Hope this helps you out

christoper dela cruz