Re: New VW slogan: "Are you ready to put up with it?" -Reply

Kevin,
To me regular maintenance consists of:

Oil & filter changes - 3,000 miles
Air & fuel filters - 15,000
Ignition check & replace as necessary - 15,000
Adjust valves - 30,000 (new valve cover gasket)
Timing belt - 60,000 (gone as long as 185,000)
Belts - 1-3 years
A.C. servicing/recharge - 2-4 years
Hoses - 3-5 years (hoses with tight bends or T fittings don't last quite as
long)
Exhaust - 3-5 years (depends on local weather conditions)
Tires - 40,000+
Brakes - 40,000+
Struts - 60,000+
Wheel bearings - 60,000+
Glow plugs - 70,000+
CV joints - 100,000+ (if you keep an eye on the boots)
Motor mounts - 150,000+
Wash & vacuum - 1-10 times a year
Wax - once a year
Clutch - The only car that has needed one was my sister's jetta, & that was
because one of the transmission seals leaked oil on it at about 200,000 miles.
That is also the only transmission problem that we have had.

I 'm sure that there are plenty of things that I have left off this list, so,
let me know if you have any questions.

Philip

Kevin Coutinho wrote:

> Phillip/All:
>
>         I figured I might as well get my 2c in since I'm looking into
> buying a new car and am torn between VW and Honda.  I own an '86 Scirocco.
> It's awesome to drive, goes like hell can beat most 4 bangers out there :)
> I bought the car 3 yrs ago, put 100000kms on it (I'm in Canada) but have
> had trouble with it every other month.  So far it's cost me Cdn$ 5500 to
> fix: All belts, Engine Seals, oilpan gaskit, Transmission seals, hoses,
> shift linkages, A/C compressor, thermostat, engine mount,a couple of wheel
> bearings, fuel pump, transfer pump, manifold and head gaskit.  Altho I
> love driving the car I cannot afford to buy a new car and pump $ into it
> at that rate.  Everyone mentions "routine maintenance"...  I hope that
> isn't all the stuff I mentioned above...
>
>         In Toronto the Prelude & the GTI VR6 are about the same price and
> they drive pretty much the same (IMO) (GTI's a little more solid).. I'm
> having a hard time making up my mind, if VW hadn't to drop their warranty
> from 3/60 to 3/40 I'd buy a GTI VR6, no questions asked...
>
> my 2c,
>
> Kevin.

Philip Mueller                                            _
Mueller2@acad.wit.edu                                  ()/
                                                 /
http://geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5626/