Re: New VW slogan: "Are you ready to put up with it?" -Reply

>>> "Adam Lindsay" <adam@mindex.com> 06/09/98 08:33am
>Okay I am curious, this guy hates VW's but this is third one?

Hey Adam

What, you did not read my previous Email, huh?  I never said I
hate VW, much less GLX.  I love the car, how it drives, and what
it offers for the $ - BUT, I hate the fact that it breaks down and
repairs cost a fortune.  Maybe not yours (yet), but on the average,
it does...

Let's face it - it is a trade off - reliability problems and
maintenance costs vs. exciting performance and "bang for the
buck" value.  If you are ready to put up with it, you will be one
happy VW owner.

It's a third one, yes, only because VW gave me a replacement
vehicle FOR FREE, since my second one was a royal piece of
shit.  BBB arbitration helps  ;-)

> Like the Long Throw Shift, umm didn't this come up on the test
>drive? Did you test drive it.

Of course.  I have had GLXs since October 1994.  My point about
long throw was that it's not NECESSARY!  If VW would listen to
customers for once, they would, for example, quit installing
crappy Good Year Eagle GA tires, have had stiffened the
suspenson even more, maybe even lowered the car some, and
- - would make shifter more sporty!  Have you test driven BMW 3
series, Integra GS-R or Mazda Miata recently?  GLX shifter
leaves something to be desired...

>Gas milage is poor, hmm I get 24miles to the gallon and thats
>not bad, if

In a cosmic sense of things, I suppose, it's not BAD.  I get about
23 MPG on average.  My point, again, is that the competition
makes faster cars with much better gas mileage (Maxima's 3.0L
V6 is 190 HP 22/29 MPG, GS-R 1.9L VTEC is 170 HP and gets
something like 23/31, etc, etc).  VR6 a compact, powerful, smart
design, great engine in many ways, but it's not a "standard" on a
market and it has it's downsides.  It's OK to admit it.  :-)

>you go through gas and oil like mad well then I guess we all
>know what all the problems are stemming from. Poor driving. If
>you beet the hell out of any car than it will give you problems.
>Duh!?!

???  What are you talking about?!?   I get about 23 MPG
average, 60% of it city driving.  Does that qualify like bet out of
hell driving?  I do not think so.  I am a totally normal consumer of
this VW product - I never even go racing, auto-x or anything.  I
like the performance of it, but have NEVER abused the engine.

My point - just like some of the Porshe's engines, this VR6
inherently uses more oil than some other engines.  One has to
be carefull and add oil between oil changes, that's all.

>Okay if so many things are bad why did he first buy it?

BTW, you can talk to me directly, don't have to use third case.

I may have another VW, who knows...  But use it while it's under
warranty only, of course  :-)

Vojin