airfilter screen/hood lifts

Replaced the air filter (stock) yesterday and while I was in there I
decided to poke around and see what the airflow path looked like. I
decided to take out the snow screen mesh filter and when I did that I was
amazed at how clogged it was with pieces of leaves and "fuzz." It looked
like the lint trap on a clothes dryer! Since it doesn't look like the
screen needs to be in there I left it out. While I can't say that I
noticed any change in drivability afterwards, I have to believe that it
cut down on the airflow a fair amount.

So check your airbox when you get the chance.

Also, I added the hood struts. Thanks Erik for the instructions! I went
with the Auto Zone Mighty Lifts instead of the Pep Boys since they were
much cheaper. The installation for the Mighty Lifts is only slightly
different. If anybody wants to know how-email me.

John Darwak
'97 Jetta GLX Sequoia/Biber beige