Re: shoot the shift

-----Original Message-----
From: Khan M. Klatt <kmk@pacificrim.net>
To: jettaglx@igtc.COM <jettaglx@igtc.COM>
Date: Thursday, July 30, 1998 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: shoot the shift

[stuff snipped]

>Let me summarize this, if I can, and you tell me if I have the right idea.
>
>In two steps:
>
>1. Push in the clutch, and pull the gearshift into neutral (say from third
>gear), and immediately let the clutch back out, all the while slowing down
>to the speed at which you want to take the corner.
>
>2. Lightly tap the accellerator to get the engine to rev to say, 3000 rpm
>in neutral, and at the same time, push in the clutch pedal, and shift into
>second gear, and then let the clutch back out while you accelerate through
>the turn.
>

>So in other words, just change gears as normal, except let out the clutch
>when you reach neutral, tap the accelerator, and then shift into the lower
>gear and let out the clutch as you accelerate.
>
>Is this right? It sounds complicated, and somewhat unsavory to do for the
>first time. Yechh, I don't want to grind my gears!!!
>
>-Khan

That's it. It takes some getting used to (practice doing the shifts while
you drive down the road without braking), but it's the proper way to really
smoke those corners without beating up your car. Aside from avoiding the
obvious wear on the clutch and transmission, doing it smoothly is a big part
of keeping the car stable and getting the weight balance right for maximum
hold in the corner.

Of course, you shouldn't be driving on public roads hard enough to require
maximum grip anyway...but saving the mechanicals is worthy.

-Pete