Re: NEW Car} What should I buy ?

Bryan Billings wrote:

> I have a 97 GLX VR6 and plan on keeping it.  I drove the beetle today
> and it felt like a one of those weird big dash vans.  I want to spend
> up
> to 25k but don't know what to get.  Opinions please ????
>
> Bryan

Automobile Magazine VW Passat

http://www.automobilemag.com/previews/pages.cfm?page_id=135
Title: Automobile Magazine VW Passat
subscribe to Automobile Magazine questions? contact us!

news
features
previews
Volkswagen Passat
Acura NSX
Daewoo Nubira
1999 Porsche 911 Cabriolet
BMW 328i
1999 Volkswagen New Beetle
buyers_guide
bookstore
events
links
road_trips
archives
message_board
news_letters
compare two cars!

Volkswagen Passat

Wonderful car, but does it compete with Mercedes-Benz and Audi? Perhaps.

As part of a trip to Wolfsburg, Germany, last summer to see Volkswagen's new line of passenger cars, I, along with seventeen of my hardest-drinking journalist fellows, was invited to an audience with Ferdinand Piech, the head of the Volkswagen Group. Piech sat facing us and explained the new philosophy of the company. Using far too many combat analogies for a man who looks that much like a German tank commander, he said that Volkswagen would go up against Mercedes-Benz in the American marketplace. The assembled journos were alternately bemused or entertained by that remark, but I was so stunned I almost choked on my Weisswurst. Here's a company, I thought, with the most entrenched brand mystique of all American imports. Volkswagen is, and has been since they started bringing cars here, a cheap car. A Volkswagen is cheap at its essence, cheap to its very core. (I know, I owned a Golf.) To suggest that VW could elevate themselves to Mercedes-Benz levels sounded to me like old Piech had just put himself on a strict diet of hallucinogens and amphetamines.

It's funny how things change. Mercedes-Benz has laid out a couple lines of dumbed-down vehicles (one thinks of the E-class and the M-class) and VW's new Beetle has better build quality than either of them at $15,200. But the new Volkswagen that most amazes me is the Passat. Here is a car that is mechanically identical to the Audi A4 and A6 in almost every respect--from engines, suspensions, materials, and now for this year, four-wheel-drivetrains--yet costs thousands less than an A4, and almost ten thousand less than an A6. For this you'd expect some trade off, some acne-blemished face to its stellar personality, but there's none of that. The Passat goes and handles and rides just like its Audi brethren, and looks just as good. It looks distinct from the Audis, but the styling is as, if not more, confident, with purer shapes and less ornamentation. The interior is so wonderfully put together and so elegantly wrought that you almost think you are in an Audi, or dare I say it, a good old Mercedes-Benz.

So tell me, why would you buy an Audi A4? An A6? For that matter, why would you buy a Benz? Dr. Piech wants to know.—Eddie Alterman

On Sale: now

Base price: $20,750

| news | features | previews | buyer's guide | bookstore | auto shows & events | links | road trip | archives | message board | newsletters |
Copyright 1998 by Automobile Magazine, a PRIMEDIApublication. All rights reserved. Reproduction without permission is prohibited. Links to our site are welcomed. Click here for our online media kit.