RE: NEW Car} What should I buy ?

At 4:12 PM -0400 7/29/98, Karp, Steve wrote:
>As much as I love my 98 GLX, it is not in the same "luxury" class as an
>Audi or BMW -- while the GLX may have as many features (if not more)
>than these other makes (at a significantly lower price), the overall
>build quality reflects that of a $20,000 car vs. a $25,000+ car.  While
>I love what the GLX offers for the many, you can't have it all, and
>build quality is where I think you pay.

I think that the Jetta GLX holds its own versus many 3 series BMW's, in
many cases coming with features that you have to pay extra for in a bimmer.
I agree, the 5 and 7 series blow any VW out of the water in terms of
luxury, including the Passat, but in the $20K-$25K range (read: BMW 318
4-door models), BMW does not compete with VW in terms of luxury, IMO. You
should be able to get a BMW 318 for the same price as a GLX, not for
several thousands of dollars more. You're essentially paying for the name
of the car at that stage.

Having said that, let me say that my choice (under $50,000) of a 4 Door
Sports Sedan is the BMW M3, followed by an Audi (A4 or S4).
-Khan