RE: rear foglights?

Hi Matt,

Got these instructions from Tofer (thanks again Chris!). Fairly easy
install. One thing I want to point out, I don't think electrical connector
part #111-971-940-A will work--I tried on my 97 and it does not fit.

Good luck!
Kevin

----------------------------------
Rear Fog Light Installation for A3 V W Jetta

This How-to is just to use as a guide, I assume no liability for any
consequences due to installation.

Now that the legal B.S. is out of the way lets go...

To complete the rear fog light installation you will need the following
items:
1 - European headlight switch ($70) many suppliers
(Timmons V W)
2 - V W electrical connectors
(part #'s N-903-352-03 *OR* 111-971-940-A)  ($2-3 each)
1 - roll of 18 + Ga. wire (long enough to run from the rear fog light
location to the switch)
TOOLS - drill bit / hole saw / very sharp knife -
1 - Bulb (same type of bulb as reverse light)

First take out the liner from the trunk lid, you will see the light assembly
on the left side (you will be hooking up the bottom light - connector on
left side of assembly) remove the bulb holder move out of the way (tape it
if necessary).  Using the tool of choice CAREFULLY enlarge the hole (the
plastic is a little brittle). After enlarging the hole test fit to make sure
your hole is now big enough to "swing" the bulb into it's new home.

Now you will need to run the wire from the rear fog light to the switch (the
hardest part of this installation is getting the wire through the grommets
in the trunk lid and drip tray).
Once the wire has been run through at the rear, work towards the front.  To
do this remove the carpet from the trunk, fold down rear seat, remove the
plastic trim from the left side of the seat bottom, the plastic kick panels
at the door sills, and the screw holding the trim at the hood release.  You
also will need to remove the plastic panel by the fusebox.
Now CAREFULLY remove the "red" square next to the Headlight switch (may have
"ABS" on it) now remove the Headlight switch and disconnect the wiring
harness from the H/L switch.
Now run the wire along the wiring harness from the rear trunk area towards
the front of the car to the H/L switch location.

-Once you have run the wire completely you can use the # 12 location on the
plug for the H/L switch.  Crimp on the connectors (make sure you have them
turned correctly BEFORE you snap them into the wiring harness plugs).
-Now if all the connectors are on and you have the switch and the bulb in
place, Test it by pulling twice on the switch so the two little LED's on the
switch are lit, walk to the rear of the car and BINGO it should now be lit!
Installation is now complete, put everything back together and enjoy the
hard work you've just completed.

This is just meant as a guide I assume no liability for any consequences due
to installation.
Chris W. 1/14/98
Please feel free to contact me at: tofer@foxinternet.net