Brake problems

Sadness, buddies.  I watched my '97 get towed
away tonight.

I was coming to a very smooth, slow-speed stop,
probably no faster than 20-30km/hr, and I could feel
in the brake pedal that something was wrong.  I turned
down the tunes, and did another slow stop and felt
the evil in the pedal again, and heard 'noise'
that sounded and felt like an alternator was being
tossed around one of the wheelwells.  It seemed to be
coming from the driver's side front wheel.

Anyway, it's still under warranty so it's spending
the night in the dealer's parking lot.  Anyone have
any ideas what might have caused this?  FWIW, about
30 seconds earlier I came to a fairly aggressive stop,
but not aggressive enough to engage the ABS (not that
I noticed anyway).

Murray in Vancouver
'97 GLX, funny brakes