Re: Air Pump Dilema

>    By the way - I still have no real clue as to what that
> durned "air pump" does, despite valliant attempts by John
> Hopkins and Chris Warren. Call me dumb. ;)
> Thomas J. Boyer

Correct me if I'm wrong, or stepped into this conversation at the wrong
time, but I believe the air pump your talking about is for the
emissions.  Is it not?

I am under the impression that the air pump pumps atmoshpereic air into
the exhaust manifold to reduce the emissions.  It does this by pumping
the air, which has oxygen (of course), which in turn oxidizes a good
portion of the polutants, and harmful emissions before it reaches the
cat.  I think it also is used to oxidize any unburt fuel in the exhaust.

Most people remove this system and plug up the holes, for a gain in
hosre power, as pumping in air disrupts the flow of exhaust robbing the
engine of power.  Less flow less power.

Darren Clyde
New Jetta Owner.