Re: Tire Recommendations

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:54:47 -0700 (PDT), jettaglx-Digest-Owner@igtc.com
(The VW Jetta GLX Mailing List Digest) wrote:

>Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:13:58 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Jeff Newton <Jeff_Newton@pmc-sierra.com>
>Subject: Tire Recommendations
>
>Guys,
>
>I'm looking to replace the GAs, finally.  Cost isn't an issue at this
>point as I'm staying with the stock rims.
>
>So far, here is what I'm looking at:
>
>Toyo Proxes T1 Plus
>Yokes A520
>Dunlop SP8000
>
>I'd appreciate any recommendations I can get on these and any other
>tires you have tried.  My primary goal is excellent wet/dry traction,
>and good ride quality.
>
>BTW, does anyone recommend going 215 or 225 width or should I stay
>205?

	Hey Jeff, I'm new to the list and I don't have a Jetta yet.
	But on my Corrado I've had
		Dunlop SP4000 (205/50/15)
		Bridgestone RE71 (205/50/15)
		Yoko A520 (205/45/16)

	The Yoko's tend to make too much squealing noise around hard corners.
	They don't loose grip but are noisy.  The RE71 has a little better grip
	but no noise.  If was in the market for new tires, I would get the
	SP8000.  Dunlop discontinue them so you can pick up a set cheap
	from Tire Rack.  I think they have 205/50/15 for $75/ea.  That's a
	great prices for a really good dry/wet tire.  The Dunlop and
	Bridgestone are about the same in wet weather.  The Yoko's have
	a little less grip in wet.

>Lastly, what about those Toyo Proxes FZ4 all season tires?  If those
>are great, I could avoid having to buy another set of rims and tires
>for the 2 weeks of winter we get here in the Pacific Northwest.
>
>Cheers,
>
>- ----
>Jeff Newton

-- Kevin Lau ..

Crestar Systems Inc.
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
"Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen !"
	-- Albert Einstein --

Any non-solicited information is subject to a $500 fine per copy as
described in the US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II.
(http://www.ca-probate.com/faxlaw.htm)