Dealer Oil Change - Followup

Here's a followup to my posting from yesterday re: my experience with an oil
change at my dealer, Mobil 1 & the "sleazy feeling".

After stewing for a couple hours about the "sleazy feeling", I called VW
Customer Relations at the 800# on their website.  I spoke with a very polite
representative who took my info, including VIN# and dealer name.  We then
discussed the issue of tire rotation, and she told me that VW will pay for 1
rotation during the 2yr/24month free maintenance period.  She said she would
contact the dealer on my behalf and get them straightened out.  I also
mentioned the business about them claiming oil reimbursement for the oil
they didn't use, and she said she would speak to them about that also.

Well, lo and behold about 9:00AM this morning the friendly service manager
at my {Cadillac,Olds,Nissan,VW} dealer calls and wants to chat about why I
called VW.  I told him I was pissed that I took the car in for service and
they weren't familiar with the VW coverage of the tire rotation.  I also
told him that I was concerned that I looked in the back and saw about 15
bays full of Cadillacs and one tiny one in the corner for VWs.  He went on
to tell me about how VW doesn't sell many cars and that they only have one
tech and they are trying to "steal" a tech from another dealer.  He then
told me that he came over from the Cadillac dealer and didn't really know
that much about VW.  I told him that didn't fill me with confidence.

He said they would be glad to rotate my tires for free whenever I wanted to
bring it in, and he would "generously" cover the next Oil/Filter change. I
reminded him that VW covers that already, and it wasn't all that generous. I
also told him that it is a pain in the ass to take the car in and wait for
an hour for a service that should have been done the first time and that I
had requested.

He finally said that he would "personally" come to my house, pick up my car,
take it to the shop, rotate the tires and bring it back.  I told him I'd
consider it and give him a call.

I probably will wait, since I'm gonna have all the wheels off in the next
couple weeks to install new suspension stuff.

All I can say is that I was impressed with the response from VW, and that
they must really put the screws to the dealers when it comes to customer
sat.

After driving the car for a few hours, I've decided that they probably did
use my oil.  The engine seems to rev a little less freely, which I (maybe
incorrectly) ascribe to the heavier 15W-50 oil (vs. the 5W-30 Castrol).  Any
comments as to my assessment here are welcomed.

Thanks a lot to all of you who responded both on the list and privately.  I
would encourage anybody who has issues with their dealer to enlist the help
of the VW Customer Relations folks.  Remember, you paid big $$$ for your
car, and you deserve to be treated well.

Matt Cleland					cleland@stlnet.com
98 Jetta GLX
Black/Biber