Whipple vs. Vibra-Technic explained.

     Since my posting, I have received a lot of e-mails about what the
     difference is between these mounts. Here is the answer.

     "Can you explain to me what the difference is between what you ordered
     and the motor mount that Jason Whipple offers?"

     The stock mount is two pieces one part is above the subframe and one
     part is below the subframe.  Below the subframe is a bushing that is
     like a jelly donut. It is a rubber donut with a washer in the middle
     that is filled with silicone (very soft and squishy and allows for a
     lot of motor movement under acceleration).  This is the part replaced
     by Jason Whipple's mount.  The Turn 2 mount is made of 2 polyerythane
     (sp?) disks (look like hockey pucks with a hole in the middle) and an
     aluminium washer in the middle. It fits in exactally where the jelly
     donut was.  The upper part of the mount is a cylinder shaped piece of
     rubber that is full of holes (looks like swiss cheese).  The Turn2
     mound does a good job of removing a lot of slop in the mount by
     replacing the softest part.
        The Vibra-Technics mount is a solid chunck of aluminium that has a
     rubber insert with a bolt sticking out of it.  It simply bolts to the
     subframe on one end (hard mount) and the other end (with the rubber
     insert) is attatched to the mounting point on the engine.  Amazingly
     there is not much more vibration transferred to the car from this more
     solid mount (due to the fact that the right rear mount is still in
     place and resembles the stock front mount, and the left rear allows
     some movement too.)

     Jason's mount is cheaper because it doens't replace the entire mount.
     I had Jason's mount, but the top part of my mount (the part it doesn't
     replace) went bad.  So I decided to just replace the whole thing with
     a Vibra-Technics.  you can see it at:
     (http://www.newdimensions.com/ND_Products.html#mounts) In the little
     picture it's the one on the right.

        Installation is pretty easy.  MAKE SURE CAR IS ON FLAT SOLID GROUND
     AND SOLIDLY SUPPORTED WITH JACK STANDS. You just need a ratchet with a
     LONG extention.  Remove the bottom section, there is a cap with 3
     (13mm) nuts holding it on.  Then under the cap is a 8mm hex bolt,
     remove and out will come the jelly donut (part Turn2 mount replaces,
     if you put in the Whipple mount now you would be done).  Now go to the
     top of the engine compartment and reach down with your socket and
     remove the bolt on the top part of the stock mount.  Put a block of
     wood on your floor jack and start lifting your engine up at the oil
     pan, carefully, you don't need to lift any higher than is necessary to
     get out the old mount.  Wiggle out the old mount, replace with new
     mount, lower motor and tighten nuts.  Enjoy miles of smiles.

        One thing to note.  ANY motor mount modification (inc. Whipple
     mount) will knock you out of SOLO II stock class.

     Have fun I hope this answers your questions.\

     Andy Atwell