Golf IV not coming to US?

This weekend my partner went back to the VW dealer he used to work at and
was looking at a new passat wagon for his wife.  He was talking to the
sales manager and some of the sales staff and they told him word had come
down this weekend that VW USA is not going to import any of the Golf
IV's.  They feel that the New Beetle, which is outselling the Golf III by
about an 11:1 margin, is their ticket.  Also, since the Jetta seems to be
so popular, they will be continuing this and according to the new
Autoweek will have for engines when it launches in Europe a:
1)  90 hp 1.9 4 cylinder turbodiesel
2)  100 hp 1.6 4 cylinder
3)  a 150 hp 2.3 VR5 with the VR5 set to form the basis for US sales.
Early next year VW will add a 115 hp 1.9 turbodiesel and a 200hp 2.8 VR6
synchro, no word in the article as to whether either of these engines
would be coming to the US or not.

  I think that VW is missing the boat if they feel that the New Beetle is
taking sales from the Golf.  I think that the new beetle is generating
it's own sales and that the golf is just kind of lingering at the moment
since it is at the end of it's design cycle.  But if this is true, most
of you may be holding a collectors item in your garage.

Ken Weidmann Jr
GLXTASY@Juno.com
Checkered Flag Automotive Components
95 Black Jetta GLX M3 wannabe
85 Show Scirocco

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]