what the?????

Gang,
   I was driving along last night minding my own business, not racing and then
the battery light comes on.  So when i stop i take a look under the hood,
check engine related fuses, all good.  So later on i got to drive it (still
with battery light on) again with no problems and then as i am nearing home,
the lights dim, the radio dies and the speedo and clock both go
blank...starting to get a little worried now.  I try to rev it up above 3000
in order to charge it and it resented that. Then i pulled it in the garage and
it gave out...  I put the battery charger on it and the lights came on and it
started after charging for a minute or so.
   This may be a bonehead post on my part, but does it seem like I have a bad
battery, alternator and/or voltage regulator?  Any one else have this problem?

Matt
1995 Jetta GLX
17" TSW VX1's
Neuspeed Race springs