Rude Awakening

Picture this, a cool night, you have your windows open, you're asleep. All
of a sudden a peircing beeping sound wakes you up, you look over at the
clock, it's 4am and your car alarm is going off!

Last night that happened to me, so I ran out and turned the alarm off (it's
the stock alarm) there was no damage to the car.
I locked the door again and the alarm starts over again.  I figured it was
starved of affection, so I went for a drive. I pulled into a deserted
parking lot got out and locked the car again - no alarm, so I drove home,
locked the car, and the bloody alarm goes off again. The only thing unusual
was I left my cell phone plugged in overnight to recharge it's battery, I
have left this in at work before for about 8 hours without any problem! The
car is exactly 2 years old. Anyone have any insight?

TIA
ian