"Cup" holder replacement...

Like many of you, I find the "cup" holders in my car to be useless, and the
little pocket in front of the "cup holders" is blocked or inaccessible when
there is a soda can in a cup holder socket.

So, a friend and I removed the cup holder plastic bracket from the
mid-console, and we found that the hole exposed when the cup holders are
gently popped out are COMPLETELY functional and usable as a "big pocket to
hold stuff" -- with one exception.

At the base of the pocket (with the cup holders removed) there is about a
5" by 2" gap where things can fall down below into the depths of the car.
Have any of you replaced the cup holder? If you used the pocket how did
you, or how would you propose fitting a replacement plastic panel to make
it a seamless pocket?

I'm frustrated with my silly cup holder bracket and I'm looking for
replacements. Suggestions, photos, anyone?

- -Khan