New Suspension

Hey all,

	I got my new suspension today. I got the bilstein full front struts,
shocks and H&R race springs.  The rears went in fine.  I would sudjest
that you drill two holes in the top spring hat and get some of those zip
ties to secure the hat to the spring.  This makes the hat sit snug
against the spring.  You would have to guide the spring hat on to the
spring every time you raised and lowered the car if you kept it stock.
I am pissed with the struts though.  VW made it hard to get that top nut
off.  You have to have a 7mm allen wrench and a socket with a hole in
it.  Sears sells this type of tool but they stop at 21mm, it requires
22mm.  The allen wrench holds the shaft from moving while you loosen the
nut.  The allen is directly in the middle of the nut requiring the 22mm
socket.  I have heard that you can impact the nut off without the
allen.  I will however try to find a tool at NAPA in the AM. If not I
will have to find someone to loosen it so I can finish the job. I will
be DAMED if I will pay someone else to put those struts in.  They are
really simple if you can get past that nut.

I drove it around the block with the rears done.  I felt like I was in a
boat(yea that much of a drop).  I took a corner at about 50 and it was a
rock. I was impressed.  I will let you guys know what happens but
overall I am impressed.  Velosity Sport Tuning knows (Chris) their
stuff.  The shocks came with no diagram for install.  He walked me
through the hole process.  Thank God that the struts came with a
diagram.  Trying to figure out which washer goes where is a Biaaatch.
Especially if you can't tell if it is upside down or not.

Later

Bryan Billings