Re: HELP, HELP, HELP, HELP, HELP, HELP, HELP, HELP, HELP

>> 1st:   The speakers in my 97 JettaGLX since it got colder outside they
>> make this loud sound when I shut the radio off.  It is like the shut
>> off noise is being amplified through the speakers.  This noise will
>> not happened if the heat has been running for a long time or the temp
>> inside the car is warm.

OK. I don't actually KNOW what this is, but I'm guessing that it's something
loose/faulty in the radio. The thing gets pretty warm when it's on, and the
heat vents right there help, so whatever it is is expanding when warm and
not shorting out or whatever, ergo no noise when warm. Sounds very much like
a warranty experience to me. Don't let them screw around on ya, it's really
easy to switch in a new radio and test for the sound. Maybe five minutes of
work.

>> 2nd:   I am going to get another oil change soon.  My car has about
>> 7900 miles on it and I want to know if I should take the dealers free
>> oil/oilchange (Quaker State) or should I give them my own oil (Mobile
>> 1 synthetic) or is to early to put this in my car.  I live in Boston

Go ahead and stay with the free stuff for now. Plenty of time to switch
later. Have you seen the Oil FAQ? It gets posted here or in
rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled from time to time, and I think there's a web
address for it, to. It basically relates testing done with various oils (the
point seemed to be debunking the PTFE craze), and they found that synth oils
are just like regular oils except at temperature extremes, like serious heat
or sub-zero temps. So why not get free stuff from VW for a while? Unless you
find a great dealer, this'll be the last of the free rides.