Re: ECU Core replacement

Ron Magers wrote:

> This may be cheaper
> than renting a car for 3 days plus you get to play with the q-chip until
> the g-chip arrives. :-)

Any competent TV/electronics repair shop can de-solder the
factory chip and install a socket while you wait.  They
might charge you $50 to do it, but it will be cheaper than
paying Autotech the $35 that they used to get, plus shipping
and sneaker wear.  You can buy the correct EPROM socket at
any Radio Shack for the ungodly price of like $1.29. (P/N:
276-1997, 28-pin low profile IC socket.)  Make sure that you
tell them that you want to be able to put the stock chip
back in, so they don't maul it.  Since the pins are brittle after
desoldering, I just stuck mine into a loose IC socket, and then
plug that socket (with the chip piggybacked) into the one on
the ECM board.  I'm sure that some EE guy is about to give me
good reasons for not doing this, but it runs every day like this.

I did my own 1995 computer, and even took pictures to put
on the web page showing everyone (and VW) how I voided my
warranty.  One of these days, I'll have to scan them and
write the article.....

- -Arthur