Re: Oil consumption!?!?

At 05:16 PM 1/19/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Folks,
>
>I have an urgent question.  This weekend my oil idiot light came on
>briefly in a turn and then went back out. I consequently and quickly put
>three quarts(!!) of oil in my engine.  My car has not shown any evidence
>of leaking oil at any time.  Where's it going!?  I've never seen any
>smoke from the exhaust and my friends who have followed me have never
>mentioned any.  Is it at all normal for the VR6 to consume over 3 quarts
>of oil between oil changes (6 months / 7500 miles)?
>
>Don what does VW consider to be an acceptable rate of consumption for
>this motor, if any.  When I brought it up to my dealer once the service
>lead gave me some outrageous technical value, I forget the unit of
>measure used, but when I worked it out on paper it came out to something
>like 5 to 6 qrts of oil for 7000 miles.  That service lead has since
>left. :)
>
>I'm taking the car in Wednesday, any advise folks.
>
>My old 73 mustang didn't consume this much oil!
>
>Help,
>
>Joe
> Joe, If you think you have a problem make an appointment with the dealer
and have the oil changed. Make sure they make a record of the exact milege
and the oil consumption complaint. Drive the car until it is exactly 1
quart low. Make sure you check the oil level before you leave the lot. I
have never seen anything in print as to consumption specs.

After the level has dropped 1 quart take it back to them and have another
twork order generated to show the exact milege.

Don