97 Jetta GLX air box?

I just subcribed to this list and am hoping for some input on the air box
setup.
When ever i do an oil change i always check the air filter this being the
first time i have done an oil change on my GLX ( because of the lack of a 15K
oil change under the 2yr 24K service) I noticed a couple of interesting things
in the bottom of the box, The first is the fine screen on the inlet side of
the box is this absolutley nessecary? Second, what looks like to me to be some
kind of safety air inlet in the event that the screen gets plugged up, the
only reason i can see for it being spring loaded. The last thing i found a
little odd was the use of a kind of velocity stack on the inlet side of the
box inside, any clues to it being essential.  I also noticed a small amount of
oil puddled in the intake tube just before the TB is this normal, i called a
local dealer who stated it was normal and to just wipe it out with a rag.  Any
input appreciated
Terry
97 Jetta GLX