Re: '96 GLS Automatic - '94 GLX VR6 comparo

George Achorn wrote:

> Sunroof: The new button is cool, but takes some getting used to. When I
> would put it in tilt position, the inner sunroof cover would not
> automatically slide back about 2 inches to allow ventilation if closed. Are
> the newer GLXs and GTIs like this? That kind of sucks, I wonder how hard it
> would be to anti retrofit that function into a newer one.

Why?  The sunscreen cover is vented on the front, so you don't
need to open it.

> Lock button - I love this feature. I played with it alot. However the GLS's
> central locking system when locking the door without keyless entry from the
> driver's side lock core, would not unlock the rest of the car, just lock
> it. Strange. This got me to thinking about the button's installation wiring
> thread that has been going across the GTI list. What if instead of cutting
> the wire to the driver's door (or in the case of my '94, the passenger door
> too, what if you used a 1 to 2 connector and used an offshoot to the button
> itself. Would this leave both locking options in use or fry my car until it
> was a carbacue?

Huh?  I'm lost here.  One turn of the key unlocks the door, two
turns unlocks the central locking system.  (Just like double-clicking
a computer mouse.)  One turn locks the whole car if I remember
correctly.  I haven't had a key in the locks since 1995, except when
I was testing the locking system after clipping the wire last month.
FYI: The only function deleted by the power lock button install is
the "follow me" lock/unlock when you pull up the lock knob on
the driver's door.  Since I'm willing to bet that most of us
can't reach that lock knob from the driver's seat anyway, I'm sure
that it will not be missed.....

- -Arthur