Jetta 4 cylinder owners and other ramblings - long

I've been reading the posts regarding this 4 cyl. Jettas and I must ramble.

I recently purchased a 98 GLS and believe me it was along drawn-out
purchasing process.  I started looking at Jettas at least a year ago but
hated all the color choices aside from black and I did not want another
black car (have had 4).  When I heard they were comming out with a classic
green in spring of 97 I was elated to say the least.  Unfortunatly
according to my dealer and everybody else I talked to it was just another
one of VW's consumer hoaxes.  Finally I was ready to settle for suede
silver and low and behold classic green for 98.  Now the decision was what
model.  Prior to owning a Ford Probe-I put 170k miles on her and had no
major repair problems just the typical Ford glitches- I had an 84 GTI and
loved it!  (But I still ached for a real car)  After considering my 67mile
one-way commute to work each day on 55mph (?) fun rural roads the GLX's gas
mileage would kill me and take any modification money I could save I
decided on the GLS it allowed me to get all the stuff I wanted (heated
seats, sun roof, & CD player).

As far as the peach-fuzz seats - you can get leather or you can cover them,
I did.

As far as the weak breaks I have never experienced that.  I have been able
to stop short-on-a-dime several times to avoid deer while I was going
speeds of about 70mph and believe me they do not look both ways!

As a member of other forgien racing/enthusiast clubs (Alfa & BMW) I have
always appreaciated all models of the manufacture not just mine.

Although I do not own a GLX many of the posts refer to general information
which is useful for all Jetta owners.

My age: 33 very soon to be 34.

Catherine
'98 GLS