Re: VW Visa Cancellation

Arthur Emmerson Wrote:

>> Kevin Collins wrote:

>> Without cause?  They must have *SOME* reason for discontinuing the
program.. might
>> well not be a "good" reason in the eyes of us customerse, but
nonetheless there is
>> SOME reason..

>Of course there's a reason!  The A4's and Concept-1 will be out
>soon, and they don't want to have to pay out when we all go
>to trade up.  I challenge anyone to disprove this
>explanation..... :-)

	I'll disprove it for the heck of it, but I have an edge you probably do
not. The letter from MBNA I just got yesterday also, and it says you can
accrue points until June '98. Not only that, but the points are good as
long as you keep your credit card in good standing until June of 2001. By
2001 you can probably use your points for a '01 Passat Plus VR8, so I
wouldn't worry about being stuck having to use them on a Jetta Trek
leftover or anything.
	Be careful though, "good standing" means making all of your minimum
payments on time.
	As for why they did it, they "claim" that this was because most VW
cardholders were wanting other features the card did not have. They
couldn't please all of the people supposedly and a small percentage of
people were using the points.
	I personally have a feeling on this one. I got the card the first month it
was available, back in college. I have yet to spend it, and you could have
accrued points over the period of 7 years and up to like 4000 bucks. I have
about 1600 accrued, and I would bet that most cardholders were saving some
nice discounts. That 1600 will be paying for the Syncro option on my Passat
GLX when next I buy. Later-G

PS I think it was too good a deal, and banks are starting to become more
stingy with benefits. My dad had the Shell gas card that offered 5%
discount on Shell gas, which is now down to like 2% off. I had a Citibank
Driver's Edge card that gave me 5% off all gas I bought, which is all I
used it for. This card program was grandfathered a year and a half ago to
cardholders only, and cancelled as of the 1st of the year. That's okay,
I'll just switch to someone who will give me something useful for my
interest dollars. LAter