Re: ABS / clutch problem?

In a message dated 98-01-01 18:09:03 EST, robparsons@juno.com writes:

<< My car is doing funky shit.
 A couple days ago I pulled into my work driveway and my brake pedal
 slammed down all the way to the floorboard.  The ABS was not engaging and
 the brakes were sortof working.  Right after passing the driveway the
 brakes worked normally.  After work I get in the car and the clutch pedal
 now makes clicking noises when depressed and I can feel resistance with
 each 'click'.  Shifting is normal.  The next day after a couple errands
 the clutch was once again a silent, smooth operator - but it had lost
 about an inch of travel.  I reached down and gently pulled the clutch
 pedal towards me, which increased pedal travel by an inch, but the
 chunky/clicking sound returned.  Damn.
 I've gone through this cycle a few times now.  Once after spirited
 driving with the clutch in it's 'non-full travel' state I thought I
 smelled burning clutch, which is why I keep pulling the pedal up to
 increase its travel.
 Any thoughts?

 Rob
 97 Vento VR6
 Garrett Chip
 Dunlop SP 4000s >>

I am currently experiencing the clicking sound which you describe. We spoke of
this problem on the list not to long ago. My clicking sound is intermittent,
but seems more pronounced when the car has been driven a while and is at full
operating temperature.  I took it to the local dealer, who is excellent, and
they said they heard it, but had no idea what it was. At that time, the car
had about 23,500 miles on it.  He said he would make some notations, and call
the VW Tech Line after the first of the year, but that it would be covered
under warranty since it was reported during the covered period. I will call
tommorrow to see what he has found.  I'll let you guys know.  Happy New Year!!

Erik
97 GLX