ABS / clutch problem?

Happy New Year!

My car is doing funky shit.
A couple days ago I pulled into my work driveway and my brake pedal
slammed down all the way to the floorboard.  The ABS was not engaging and
the brakes were sortof working.  Right after passing the driveway the
brakes worked normally.  After work I get in the car and the clutch pedal
now makes clicking noises when depressed and I can feel resistance with
each 'click'.  Shifting is normal.  The next day after a couple errands
the clutch was once again a silent, smooth operator - but it had lost
about an inch of travel.  I reached down and gently pulled the clutch
pedal towards me, which increased pedal travel by an inch, but the
chunky/clicking sound returned.  Damn.
I've gone through this cycle a few times now.  Once after spirited
driving with the clutch in it's 'non-full travel' state I thought I
smelled burning clutch, which is why I keep pulling the pedal up to
increase its travel.
Any thoughts?

Rob
97 Vento VR6