jetta Belts Whining ...

     Might be kind of late, I am on the digest version.

     I had this problem with my 87 gti and 89 golf.

     First, although the belts are new, I bet they are not vw belts.
     Aftermarket belts don't always have the right v angle and as a result
     don't always make full contact with the pulleys.  The tension appears
     set correct when testing the flex, but the surface area is not enough.
     This causes them to slip when wet.  I always used either vw belts
     (expensive) or continental (hard to find).

     Second, I always had problems with the belt tightening procedure.
     Seems the alternator adjustement would loosen and take pressure of the
     other belts and cause the problem.  Make sure the lock mechanism is
     clean and tight.

     This is one design flaw vw engineered out in the newer cars, although
     the ribbed belts is just as expensive.

     Warren